Big changes are coming to Twitter, at least according to many mass media sources. Social media platforms as of late, have become overwhelmingly political, in terms of how they are operate. Many prominent politicians over the last half decade have been debating social media platform censorship, free speech, and political bias.
News broke Monday that Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey will be stepping down. Almost instantly after this news were articles speculating what this would mean for Twitter both for the user experience and the future for censorship on the app.
Many known conservative voices on the app quickly jumped to plug new platforms, in fears that with Dorsey's absence would excel measures to censor and block free speech on the app. One of these new platforms being "Parlor", a platform dedicated to being the anti-Facebook or Twitter. Parlor, whose CEO is conservative activist Candace Owens' husband, has been gaining more traction as the app was added back to the Apple App Store earlier this year.
Other outlets like the Wall Street Journal and New York Times, mention the political ramifications to Dorsey stepping down on the stock market, and on issues like political bias and censorship. The NYT noting his questionable leadership tactics among his board and other executive staff members.
In an email from Jack Dorsey to his employees, which he posted to Twitter, he writes: I’ve worked hard to ensure this company
can break away from its founding and founders, I believe
it’s critical a company can stand on its own, free of its founder’s
influence or direction. There aren’t
many companies that get to this level. And there aren’t many founders
that choose their company over their own ego.
Greetings, Although over the last decade social media companies like twitter and Facebook has been accused of many things from influencing our youth to even impacting American and Global politics. I am glad to see twitter make the effort to change leadership to ensure the equality and diversity in cooperate America. Even though we have seen social media companies care more about users as opposed to the needs of the users I am glad to so twitter make the proper steps to secure their company.
ReplyDeleteGood afternoon,
ReplyDeleteOver the last couple years I feel like I can see a total change in Twitter. I can remember when I first joined Twitter, and the type of material that was on my feed. Now I look at Twitter and within seconds I have to get off. My feed is just full of people complaining or terrible things happening within the world. Therefore, In my mind I would think that Twitters free speech rules were already almost non existent. Though with Jack Dorsey stepping down I will be very interested to see how Twitter adapts.